This 90 minute California wage and hour compliance training will help you understand the complexities surrounding California wage and hour laws and how it affects the function of any payroll department or company that has employees in California.
- Minimum Wage: *New rates for 2019* Know and understand the latest information
- Gained knowledge of and skills in California and federal wage and hour law as it pertains to payroll preparation
- An understanding of the proper calculation of overtime pay in California including the Alvarado Decision
- Basic understanding what is considered hours worked and how to handle such working hours reporting time pay, split shift pay and meeting times in California
- Gained knowledge of when an employee must be given a break or lunch and when an employer may dock for meal periods as well as when the state’s penalties for failure to do so will be invoked.
- Knowledge of the requirements for paying employees including pay frequencies permitted and methods allowed under state’s laws as well as requirements when an employee terminates
- The basic understanding of what must be included on a paystub in California
- Knowledge of California’s Mandatory Sick Leave law
Areas Covered in the Webinar:
- Minimum Wage: *New rates for 2019 and beyond* for both state and locals
- Wage orders: How to determine which of the 17 wages orders applies to your company?
- Overtime: CA has daily and weekly overtime and daily and weekly double time. Learn how to determine when it’s straight time, overtime or double time.
- Alternative workweeks: Are your employees eligible to have alternative workweeks and are employers required to offer them?
- New overtime rules for agricultural workers
- How do credits for meals and lodging or tips affect the current minimum wage for the state?
- On call pay: Does CA require it for all employees all the time?
- Reporting or show up pay: does the employer owe wages to any employee for just showing up to work? Even if there is no work to be performed?
- Split shifts: Is there a monetary requirements to pay the employee extra if they work a split shift?
- Rules for compensating piece workers.
- What are the requirements for posters and payday notices?
- What must be included in the employee's paystub and what must be excluded?
- What notices are required to be given to employees upon hire or if they are laid off or terminated. What if they go on leave of absence?
- How often must employees be paid in CA? Does it apply to all categories of employees?
- What methods are permitted to pay employees? Are there rules for direct deposit? Can employees be paid by payroll debit card?
- What are the rules for paying out the final paycheck if an employee is terminated? Are they the same if the employee quits? How does either one affect the vacation time left on the books?
- Are meal and rest periods required or left up to the employer's policies? If required what are the penalties if the employees does not receive his or her meal or rest period.
- Recordkeeping requirements including required time card punches.
- Permissible deductions from pay.
- Mandatory Sick Leave Law
- Local minimum wage and creditor garnishments - how to determine disposable pay
Who Will Benefit:
- Payroll Executives/Managers/Administrators/Professionals/Practitioners/Entry Level Personnel
- Human Resources Executives/Managers/Administrators
- Accounting Personnel
- Business Owners/Executive Officers/Operations and Departmental Managers
- Attorneys/Legal Professionals
- Any individual or entity that must deal with the complexities and requirements of Payroll compliance issues