Discussions, presentation, and webinars regarding HIPAA regulations are usually addressed from the perspective of what the regulations entail, the necessity of compliance with the regulations, and the consequences of willful neglect or non-compliance.
This presentation addresses HIPAA regulations from a different perspective - from a personal perspective - from the perspective of the person in charge of moving an organization or facility toward full compliance with HIPAA. The by-product of this presentation will be both an understanding of, and a detailed job description for, a position mandated in the regulations - the HIPAA Security/Privacy Officer.
The HIPAA regulations are numerous, complicated, often vague, and affect every person working in a healthcare facility. Compliance with HIPAA will require a unique individual to lead the charge - an individual whose education, background, experience, and demonstrated skill sets offer the opportunity for that person to succeed in achieving the goals of that position. This is a new position to most healthcare facilities. So understanding who this person should be, what is required of the person with this job title, and with whom this person will interface is vital to every healthcare organization with the goal of achieving full compliance with HIPAA.
· Position Goals
· Position Requirements (education, experience, skill sets, etc.)
· Position Responsibilities
· Stay Abreast of Regulations
· Initiate compliance with HIPAA (according to regulations)
· Ensure continuous progress toward full compliance
· Develop appropriate security/privacy policies & procedures
· Oversee and deliver appropriate training programs to all employees
· Track compliance with HIPAA regulations at the facility & individual levels
· Track access to PHI
· Investigate and resolve HIPAA Violations
· Apply sanctions to HIPAA Violators
· Manage any Information Security Personnel
· Prepare a Department Budget
· Hold Business Associates accountable for their own compliance with HIPAA and the list goes on
· Someone interested in becoming a HIPAA Security/Privacy Officer
· Someone who will make the decision for Hiring a Person for this Position
· Practice/Hospital Administrators
· MDs and Healthcare Professionals
· IT Professionals
· Facility Managers
· Business Associates of Healthcare Facilities
· Any Person who Deals Directly or Indirectly with PHI
Physical CD-DVD of recorded session will be despatched after 72 hrs on completion of payment
Recorded video session
Dr. Michael C. Redmond, PhD, is a certified project manager, PMP, has two master certifications in business continuity/disaster recovery MBCP and FBCI and is certified in emergency management. She is active in cyber security and holds multiple ISO certifications (ISO/IEC 27001 Information Security Management, ISO/IEC 27032 Lead Cyber Security Manger, ISO/IEC 27035 Security Incident Response, ISO/IEC 22301 Business Continuity Management Systems, ISO/IEC 21500 Project Management, and ISO/IEC 41001 Environmental Management). She is an international consultant, speaker and published author.
Michael's MBA in Risk Management included courses in Information Security and Risk Management for Medical Devices and Healthcare. Michael is certified as a Senior Lead Manager in Information Security for Healthcare ISO 27999.As a practitioner, she has been implementing ISO 27999 and ISO 14971 for over 10 years for clients.
Her past experience includes 13 years as a senior manager with Deloitte, KPMG and Chubb in the areas of: compliance, crisis management, business continuity, disaster recovery, emergency management, internal audit/ gap analysis. She was a business continuity/disaster recovery manager with the Bank of New York. She consults for clients in diverse industries such as banking, manufacturing, pharmaceutical, hospitals, government agencies, colleges and universities, law firms, and media.
Dr. Redmond spent 4 years on active duty with the army and 18 1/2 years as National Guard and Reserve before retiring as a major. She is a graduate of Command & General Staff College (Fort Leavenworth), attended civil affairs courses at the US Army JFK School of Special Warfare and is Hazmat trained and DOD certified. The White House honored Dr. Redmond at a luncheon as one of the Top Women in Her Field of Business Continuity.